Friday, October 23, 2009

Curt Youngblood

New Orleans carries the cultural banner of Louisiana, and growing up in Shreveport, I have had a strange relationship with the city. It's like the cool kid who lives down the street. I got to go visit every once in a while, but I never got to be a real friend. I remember going on field trips to the Zoo, aquarium, D-day museum, and just about every other attraction. In college, I read articles about the city, its levees, and of course, Mardi Gras. My background with the city gives a false sense of familiarity and understanding. When discussing this project with colleagues, I continually found myself stating “facts” with the utmost certainty.

Eventually, the day comes to leave Austin and head to the Louisiana, and I can hardly sit still in anticipation. I get giddy as we cross the state line and sense a rush of familiarity. About the time I feel that I could not possibly survive one more minute inside of a moving vehicle the Superdome comes into view and I have a revelation. I'm not the cool kid. I'm the nerd from down the street, and I have no idea what New Orleans is all about.

For this project, I am working with Sweet Home New Orleans, a nonprofit that works with musicians. The organization was founded shortly after Hurricane Katrina to help displaced musicians return to New Orleans. I find this organization is extra interesting because of its changing commitment to the cultural strength of New Orleans. Now that it has brought the musicians back to the city, Sweet Home is attempting to rebuild their careers. For example, the organization has recently begun paying guarantees to working musicians. Since Katrina, many of the clubs have not seen a significant enough income to provide such assurances to musicians. Instead, music gets played for door charges or tips. Today, I was lucky enough to speak with several of Sweet Home's employees, who gave some interesting perspectives on New Orleans's economy and the recession. I am looking forward to working with some musicians tomorrow and figuring out how they stretch their paychecks.

No comments:

Post a Comment